Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Love the Olympics!

I am quite patriotic. In fact, when I am in an exceptionally good mood, I cannot help but sing the national anthem. It is my dream to one day sign (as in sign language for deaf people) the national anthem at a major event. I cannot sing so good, so signing is the next best thing. Plus you can't be off-key!

All that to say, I LOVE THE OLYMPICS! My favorite is (of course) women's gymnastics. Those little powerhouse girls can do the most amazing things these days. Some things are the same: 4 inch beam, uneven bars and springboards. However, so much has changed: the vault is a different structure, the approach to the vault is backwards AND the scoring within gymnastics is ridiculously modified! There is no longer a perfect 10! Sorry to these up and coming gymnasts, but they can never be a Mary Lou Retton. I find it odd that the scoring is even different from event to event-- higher scores on bars than could be attained on vault. It is still fun to watch though, even if the Chinese are using underage girls. I was sad to see the Americans get the silver, but the all-around is yet to come. What impressive athletes all of these girls are!

No comments: