Saturday, August 2, 2008

Ms. Mary's Hot Air Balloon Ride

Mary contemplated going up for a hot air balloon ride for a few days and finally decided she was going to do it. I thought that was great that I could vicariously live through her when it came to going up in a hot air balloon. I have no problem jumping out of a perfectly good airplane and parachuting down or jumping off a suspension bridge with only a bungee cord saving me from the Guadalupe, but when it comes to hot air balloons, I am all out. No, thank you. However, I was thrilled for Mary to do it, as were the kids. They were beside themselves excited that Ms. Mary was going to wave to them from the balloon. WOW! They were counting down the days for her to go up in that balloon. The morning of her flight, we went to take her to a random field. They then drove to where the balloon would (kinda) land. They landed it in between the highway and the on ramp! (This hot air ballooning is really an inexact science; they never know where they are going to go, where they will land, etc.)
After Mary climbed in, we watched until she was real high and headed back to the car. After we got back to the condo, I took the younger ones on a run and the whole time they kept an eye on the balloon and waving occasionally as if Mary could still see them. Here is how far away she was on our run...

Speaking of the run, it was not so fun. Pushing a double stroller up a mountain, getting lost, dealing with a child's melt down and wondering if I was ever going to get back to where I started = no fun. My 30 minute run turned into a 45 minute bout of frustration. I think one of the most difficult parts of the run was the way down. It's hard enough to run down that steep of a hill, but with the double jogger pulling me I felt like I was holding on for dear life so as not to lose my children with an out-of-control stroller racing down the mountain.

No comments: