Saturday, September 20, 2008

Bike Riding with Cooper and the Cantseeums

Once we got home from Natalie's soccer game, it was obvious that Cooper needed a little outdoor time. John thought it would be a good idea if I took him on a bike ride, so we strapped our helmets on and away we went. At first he wanted to just ride around the block. What?!? No. Sorry, but if we are going on a bike ride, we are going on an adventure bike ride. Plus, when you are riding on the sidewalks, the cantseeums are everywhere! I bet I swallowed 2 or 3. I try to be careful not to let my mouth open because we were riding through so many swarms of them.

SIDE NOTE: Cantseeums are those little insects that fly around in a swarm above your lawn, sidewalks, etc. and you can't see them until you walk into a swarm (hence cantseeums), so that is what Cooper calls them.


When we got out away from residential lawns, we didn't encounter as many cantseeums. We went over a pedestrian bridge, through a corner lot, across multiple streets, and to the park. Once we were at the park, Cooper showed me how he could ride around and around the park paths without falling down. I was quite impressed! Then, he wanted to go tackle the Big Mountain. It is a mound of dirt that always seems to be at the park. He rode around it, over it, but not up it. I tried to go up it in on my mountain bike, and barely got up it. Since I had a little difficulty, I didn't want to encourage him to do it because I didn't want him to get frustrated. (We're working on that.) I showed him how he could go up the other side and get to ride down the steep side. NOW, THAT'S FUN, MOMMY! ~It's good to know that I have some good ideas!~
We rode home without incident and I am quite proud of my mountain biker!

No comments: