Monday, November 24, 2008

Keeping a Promise

Luke found a box that ha been sitting in the garage for the last year or so. Cooper received it as a gift and we had never opened it. Luke pulled it out of a corner and thought it would be super if I put it together. There was no putting it together, it was an inflatable soccer/hockey goal, a soccer ball, inflatable hockey stick and puck. I promised him that I would do it during nap. WHAT?!? What was I thinking? My favorite thing to do during nap is...nap. Not air up a hockey/soccer goal and soccer ball.

Well, a promise is a promise, right? I need to build the trust now and follow through with my promises, even with the 3 year old. After helping Luke fall asleep, I went in to help Natalie fall asleep and ended up napping with her for an hour and half. I woke up in a panic about the whole soccer goal thing. CRAP! I darted out to the garage to assess what exactly I needed to do and how long it would take me. Oh. My. Goodness. After pulling this monstrosity out of the box I could not believe what I had gotten myself into! I had naively thought that I could blow it up by mouth. HA. HA. HA! Not unless I had a week to do it! Then I thought, "OOH! The air compressor!" That would be fast and painless. Nope, no such luck. I did not have an adapter to fit into the openings for the air to go in. AHH! I am running out of time AND ideas! I then thought about the pump for the bikes. Not the best idea, but it sure beat the only other manual idea I had. After looking around for 5 minutes, I finally found the one pump that the kids have not destroyed with their pretend play. I quickly realized I did not have the adapter that the box promised it had included, so I had the pleasure of holding the pump valve as close to the air opening and pumping the other hand while holding the pump itself with my feet. Sound complicated? YES! It was very complicated! Plus, either my hand got tired of holding the two together or my tricep from pumping the handle up and down. I just kept telling myself, "A promise is a promise! A promise is a promise!" After 35 minutes of nonstop pumping, I finally had the whole goal aired up. (There were 4 LARGE parts that had to be inflated.) THEN, I had to air up the soccer ball! Good-ness! The ball itself took 10 minutes because it was so big! I am quite glad that there were no pictures of me completing this task, because I am SURE that it was not pretty. I was thoroughly exhausted, but I knew Luke would be so excited when he woke up.

As I walked in from the garage, the kiddos were waking up from their naps. Luke looked at me and said, "Did you air it up?" I was so relieved to say YES! He bolts outside to find it and emits a high-pitched squeal that every dog in a 1 mile radius could probably hear. Natalie looks at it and casually turns around, puts her hand on her hip and asks, "Did you air up the hockey stick too?" I pretty much wanted to put her in time-out for such a snide little question!

They had an incredibly fun time playing with the goal and ball, taking turns being the goalie. I do not know why it is so fun to be the goalie, because that person is the one getting smacked in the face every other kick. They played until it got dark and then we headed off to the gym for my workout...

No comments: