Tuesday, November 11, 2008

PTA

A good friend of mine told me that if you want to be in the know about all the happenings at your child's school, you need to be on the PTA board. Not just join PTA, but be on the Executive Board. I really respect what she has to say (she is ions ahead of me in the parenting department), therefore, I took what she said to heart. Last spring I let one of my friends who already had a kindergartner at the school know that I wanted to be on the board (if it was possible) when Cooper started kindergarten. She got me connected to the right people and I signed up to be the assistant to the 7th vice-president. Sounds innocuous enough, right? A minor role to kind of test the waters with the first year and all, right? Well, the person I was 'assisting' took a full-time position at the school and I ended up volunteering for her position. Sometimes I think ignorance is bliss. If I would have known how much work this position was I might not have said yes, but I am certainly glad I did. My good friend, Kathy was right, I do know about all the happenings at Cooper's school. Also, I have made a lot of friends at the school and met a whole lot more people that I might not have ever had the opportunity to meet. It is great to be a part of such a committed group of women (and 2 men) that have our children's best interests in mind. And also to belong to a school that has a principal that supports us so whole-heartedly. I am proud of where we chose to send Cooper to school!

No comments: