Saturday, December 13, 2008

Another Day in the ER

OK, I sound like am falling apart, right? I think if they would have diagnosed me correctly the first time that I went to the ER, I would not still have this pain and would not have had to go again today. My pain tolerance is pretty high, but whatever this is, it is KICKING MY TAIL!

Both times that we have been to the ER, we have lucked out and it has been empty. We were in a room within 10 minutes. That is nice, let me tell you! Especially when you are feeling as bad as I was. The drill? Change into a not-so-flattering tattered hospital gown that has more openings than a coral reef, provide a urine sample, give up your arm with the best vein and freeze your toes off until they bring 2 warmed up blankets. That's the S.O.P. (Standard Operating Procedures) for ER protocol. Oh yeah, you do get to leave your 'unders' on! I thought that was pretty funny when the nurse said that.

This go around, we skipped through all the niceties and told them everything we had been through in the last 2 weeks. As in: normal CAT scan, normal blood count, normal urine, getting a wrong diagnosis, taking medications that I didn't need to and the unbelievable pain that I was in. They did not take forever to give me pain medication (THANK GOODNESS!) I was already in my happy place, so I was ready for them to go ahead and do the ultrasound of my liver. Here is the diagnosis, if you would like to call it that:
Now all I have to so is make it through the HIDA scan, in which they flush out the liver with a nuclear medication that they shoot through your veins, then invoke a gall bladder spasm. ALRIGHTY THEN! I CANNOT wait, sign me up ASAP!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, April, I like to consider myself a semi-pro doctor because I went to 2 years of nursing school 30 years ago plus I watch all the doctor shows on TV. :-) I totally didn't buy your first wrong diagnosis of gastric reflux. The pain from that wouldn't be so severe. Sorry you're going through so much pain. Let go of the supermom thing for awhile and just chill. Some of my grown kids best memories are sitting with me on the couch while I read to them. You can do that even while gritting your teeth in "discomfort." I'll be praying for you...