Saturday, December 6, 2008

Starting the Process

It is December 6th and we are starting the process of decorating for Christmas. For some people, the process started after the pumpkin pie was served at Thanksgiving. We, typically, are not so quick to decorate. In fact, one Christmas we decorated a few days before Christmas Eve. YIKES! Well not now! I am surrounded by folks who take this decorating SERIOUS! I went on a walk last week, stopped at a friend's house to let the kids play and ended up helping her decorate her living room. All the while I am wondering, why am I doing this? Don't I need to decorate my OWN house?

Good news! We purchased our real tree this evening. We have an interesting tradition when it comes to tree selection. We go to Home Depot. Sometimes we might even go to Lowe's if they have a newer shipment of trees in. Yep, we are pretty old-fashioned in that way. (HA!HA!HA!) The kids think it is great. They get to watch us look at 30+ trees, pick out the best one, watch the cashier chainsaw off the end and see them wrap the tree in the netting. Then John throws it on the SUV, ties it down and off we go to soak it in water. This is the beginning of the process for us.

Oh yeah, we also have Christmas lights! Mary was nice enough to let us hire her nephew to put the Christmas lights up on the house. John says that is the best $50 he has spent in a long time!

1 comment:

maryeh34 said...

I was nice enough... That's funny. It has nothing to do with nice for me. My thought is that the kids need to learn that you have to WORK for money, not just ask Aunt Mary for it. So, I think ya'll were nice enough to pay him. He does mine for FREE since I do stuff for/with him all year long. Okay sometimes I give in and slip him some cash. Never mind that I hand him random $20s all the time anyway. I remember being 16 and needing money to go out, buy gas, etc. Oh, two fun things happened while Trevor put up your lights. Your neighbors across the street heckled John, because clearly they are way more zealous in the Christmas yard decorating area, and another neighbor stopped by and hired Trevor to do their lights. All in all it was a great lesson for Trevor, and I should get a pretty good Christmas gift from him. I mean I did drive him around and help :-)