Monday, December 1, 2008

A Night in the ER

I have been having this sharp, stabbing pain in my stomach. Really, it feels like my rectus abdominus, just slightly about my belly button. It has been bothering me, on and off for the last 4 days, but it is not consistent and I could not figure out a trigger. Today, the pain went to a whole new level. It started hurting again around 2:45 and never let up. Around 6 it became almost unbearable. Nothing relieved the pain: not lying down, curling up in a ball, stretching my stomach, nothing. All I could do was cry(which I cannot stand to do!). John gave me the ultimatum of calling an ambulance or my mom so she could come over and watch the kids while he took me to the ER. I opted for him to call my mom and she was over licketey-split!

There was only one person in front of us in triage, so we were in a room pretty quick. We had some of the nicest people helping us. Everyone from the triage nurse to the 2 pod nurses to the tech that took my blood, they were all extremely nice and accommodating. One nurse even offered to get me a warmed up blanket. I'LL TAKE IT!! You do not have to ask me twice! You can even bring me two if you would like...and she did!

The very nice nurse, Cheryl, said she would give me something for the pain. It starts with the letter M. As in MORPHINE. She put it directly into my IV and said, "you are probably going to feel the effects pretty quick, since ...". Yes, ma'am! I was already feeling it before she finished her sentence. That was some serious quick-acting pain reliever. However, it does make you talk funny and say things out of order. John got a big kick out of listening to me try to tell him a story.

After a CT scan, blood sample, urine sample and physical examination they determines, by process of exclusion, that it was acid reflux. Well let me tell you, I would rather have another C-section than have that much pain again. The doctor gave me 4 prescriptions that I hope never have to take. We dropped them off at CVS, but they said that they would not be ready for an hour. Alrighty then! Glad I am not needing them immediately! We were home by 10:30, but it felt like it was 2AM.

We were just extremely thankful that it was not anything serious!

No comments: